My legs tends to break down in races. I run the 600m in1:54.
My legs tends to break down quick but I know I have speed. My first year doing winter track. What can I do to make myself overall better runner? Thanks.
Are you sure you really want to know? This could be an incredibly long list. I don't know what you are currently doing now for workouts and mileage, but here is a list of five things.
1. Increase your mileage. It doesn't matter if you are a 600 runner. You still need a good aerobic base.
2. Make sure you "touch speed" every day. That means on easy run days, you should still do some strides. Remind yourself you are fast every day.
3. Lift weights. You're going to have to be strong in events from the 400-800 to be fast. Strenghten the core by doing a variety of sit-ups, crunches, as well as leg lifts. Improve your upper body strength. Add explosive power to your legs.
4. Eat right. Eat more fruits, veggies, and whole grains. Eat less of everything else.
5. Rest. Make sure you get enough sleep. Run hard on the hard days, but take it easy on the easy days.
Happy Trails - Coach Tief